header
Alisa Maya
HOME ABOUT Others
Whole-hearted
Monday, November 10, 2014 • 8:28 PM
There is a TED talk that I always watch when I'm having a rough day. I will not promise that it has changed my life but it has inspired in me a desire to attempt to change the way I live. I would ask you to watch it, but in case you don't I will tell you exactly why it is so powerful. The TED talk is a rather famous talk by a researcher called Renee Brown and she talks about the importance of embracing vulnerability. I picked out a few points that I really like.

This is the world we live in:
"When you ask people about love, they tell you about heartbreak, when you ask people about belonging they’ll tell you about their most excruciating experiences of being excluded and when you ask people about connection, the stories they told me were about disconnection."

I think the idealist in me ( and that's a big part) wants to ignore the broken-ness of the world. But doing so would be to lie to myself--the last person I should lie to.

We are most cruel to ourselves

"If I roughly took the people I had interviewed and divided them into two groups: one group-the people who have a sense of worthiness; a strong sense of love and belonging and folks who struggle for it..there was only variable that separated them. The people who have a strong sense of love and belonging believe they are worthy of it. That’s it. They believe they’re worthy…the hard part is that the one thing that keeps us out of connection is the fear that we are not worthy of love and connection."

I don't like to admit the truth in this statement which is probably why this part of her speech was painful to hear.

On courageous people

"Courage: to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart."

" people had the courage to be imperfect, the passion to be kind to themselves first before others because as it turns out we can’t treat practice compassion with other people if we can’t treat ourselves kindly and they had connection as a result of authenticity: they were willing to give up who they thought they should be, to be who they were.They fully embraced vulnerability. They never really talked about it being uncomfortable nor did they talk about it being excruciating, they just talked about it being necessary."

I don't really have much of my own writing to offer today but I hope Ms. Brown's words make someone think today. My favourite part of the talk though was the way she was so unapologetic about her weakness, a quality that is endearingly attractive as it is rare.




PASTFUTURE
THE WRITER

some_text

Alisa Maya
19
Student
Aspiring writer


BLOG ARCHIVE

  • This town is getting too big for me.
  • I want to be alone (with you)
  • Remembering death has made my life better.
  • Remove the Reserved Seats for a TRULY better ride.
  • Love letter to a younger self (part 1)
  • Betrayal is betrayal, wherever you find it. Farewe...
  • People Like You and Me
  • Kinship with an almost stranger
  • The truth about living with anxiety.
  • Really?

  • LINKS

    Site Site Site Site








    Copyright © Alisa Maya
    Blog Design by Qi Yin